MENU THE ARTS SOCIETY SHEFFIELD

WHAT IS CHURCH RECORDING ? Canon law requires that each church must keep a record of its possessions in a document known as ‘THE TERRIER AND INVENTORY’. Part of the document is devoted to listing the furnishings within its walls. Such listings are not in detail and the Church Recorders aim to remedy that deficiency. Today with theft and vandalism demanding police work and insurance claims a detailed record is of considerable help. Church Recorders were founded in 1973 by The Arts Society (formerly NADFAS) after lengthy consultation with the Victoria and Albert Museum with whom we still consult and they hold a record of each church plus photographs of Memorials, Metalwork, Stonework, Textiles, Paintings, Library, Windows and Miscellaneous items of every church recorded. A record is presented to the Church, Diocesan Records Office, Council for the Care of Churches and the National Monuments Record Centre.

The Arts Society Sheffield and Hallamshire Church Recorders

The Sheffield and Hallamshire Church Recording Group are coming to the end of the first recording year at St Mary the Virgin, Handsworth.  We have been warmly welcomed to this large, historic church by all we have come in contact with and we commend them for keeping the church in such a beautiful condition with wonderful flower arrangements present at all times.  All our Recorders have taken on this enormous task with enthusiasm and thankfully some have a wealth of knowledge and experience. 

Some observations:

·The church has ‘Crusading’ links but has gone through many developments, some sympathetic but some ‘botched’

·Discovered, behind a picture in the base of the bell tower, a small cupboard; behind this door an even older door with ferramenta strapwork, opening this door revealed a very old safe inside which …………………… marigold gloves and cleaning materials!

·In 1729 the window from the south wall was moved to the east end of the new south aisle reusing the brickwork.  Outside, beneath the window is a clear ‘mason’s mark’

·On a lead plaque dated 1832 are the names of a Mr Weldon and a Mr Fisher, Churchwardens, and a Mr Woodward, Plumber.  Why?

· The Tudor roof in the Nave is wooden with the shields of families, connected with the church, at all the intersections

·Although the windows are all 19th and 20th century those in St Katherine’s Chapel are by the artist and designer Christopher Webb and one is signed

If you would like to join our Group we meet on alternate Mondays and will be starting again in September, we lunch at a local hostelry that offers a fantastic ‘senior’ lunch from £3.95.

Contact:  Elizabeth Barton on eliz.tizi@virginmedia.com  

Contact The Arts Society Sheffield:  Monica Slater